Harm related to falls
The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (C.M.S.) began phasing in
its value-based purchasing program in 2007. Value based purchasing
links payment directly to the quality of care provided. It is one
strategy being used by C.M.S. to transform the current payment system by
rewarding providers for delivering high quality, efficient clinical
For your Final Paper:
1. Include a brief discussion of the chosen hospital-acquired condition and why it is considered preventable.
2. Explain the legal implications related to a patient developing the condition and the role that disclosure plays.
3. Describe accreditation expectations related to this condition.
4. Analyze the outcomes of continuous quality monitoring consider cost as it relates to quality.
The following questions and/or topics should be utilized in the development of your Final Paper:
Hospital acquired conditions:
1. What is meant by the term “hospital acquired condition”?
2. Is the condition you selected always preventable? Why or why not?
3. How does reducing or preventing this condition indicate quality healthcare practices?
1. What role does communication between the healthcare team and the patient/family play in preventing this condition?
2. Why might a healthcare provider be reluctant to discuss the development of this condition with the patient and family?
3. What are the potential ramifications of not discussing the development of this condition with the patient and family?
4. How might members of the healthcare team present this information to the patient and family?
5. What, if any, is the link between disclosure and litigation?
1. The Joint Commission accredits 82% of the hospitals in the United States. (Sollecito & Johnson, 2013, p. 516).
2. What expectations does the Joint Commission have with regards to the condition you selected?
3. How is it assessed by surveyors during an accreditation survey?
Outcomes related to cost and quality:
1. What continuous quality improvement strategies might
you use to involve members of the healthcare team in planning and
implementing improvements related to this issue?
2. Provide examples for each of the following performance improvement
levels: localized improvement, organizational learning, process
reengineering, and evidence-based medicine. (Refer to page 5 in your
text if needed.)
3. What role does education, research, collaboration, information
technology, leadership, and teamwork play in addressing this issue?
4. Of the strategies listed which one do you believe would generate
the best outcomes and cost the least to implement? Explain your opinion.
The Final Paper must be eight-to ten-pages (excluding title and
references pages) and should demonstrate understanding of the reading
assignments, class discussions, your own research and the application of
new knowledge. Your paper must use a minimum of six scholarly,
peer-reviewed sources from the Ashford University Library that were
published within the past five years and that are referenced according
to APA guidelines as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Writing the Final Paper
The Final Paper:
1. Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length
(excluding title and reference pages), and formatted according to APA
style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
2. Must include a title page with the following:
a. Title of paper
b. Student’s name
c. Course name and number
d. Instructor’s name
e. Date submitted3. Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
4. Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
5. Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
6. Must use at least six scholarly, peer-reviewed sources that were
published within the past five years from the Ashford University
7. Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
8. Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.