I’m working on a business law writing question and need an explanation to help me learn.
Researching and Citations
Using library or Internet resources provide a brief overview or description of each of the items listed below, along with a full citation and references. Your submission should include a cover page, the body of you research, and a reference page. Here is an example of the first first item (I am using Alabama because it is my home state…your answers will depend on your city and/or state:
- Your state’s statute that defines what is considered to be a public record that must be made available to the public upon request. I am using APA formatting, however you may use the new Strayer Writing Standards if you like:
Code of Alabama 1975, § 36-12-40 provides that “[e]very citizen has a right to inspect and take a copy of any public writing of this state, except as otherwise expressly provided by statute.” While many of the records maintained by the Office of the Secretary of State are available on the official website at www.sos.alabama.gov and may thus be obtained electronically, not all records are available through this means (Request Public Information, 2020).
On your reference page you should have the following listing:
Requesting Public Information. (2020). Online at: https://www.sos.alabama.gov/sos-office/request-pub…
Grading for this assignment will be based on the quality of the answer and the completeness and correctness of the citations.
- Your state’s statute that defines what is considered to be a public record that must be made available to the public upon request.
- The pre-World War I opinion by the U.S. Supreme Court holding, on reargument, that a federal income tax was unconstitutional.
- The federal statute authorizing the U.S. Secretary of Transportation to make payments to states for the value of materials stockpiled near federal highway construction projects in conformity with the project specifications.
- The federal joint regulation of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Department of the Interior, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and Department of Commerce, identifying the factors for listing, delisting, or reclassifying endangered species.
- Your state’s administrative regulations specifying the licensure process for real estate agents.
- The local ordinance in your municipality governing noise.
- The most recent opinion of your state’s highest appeals court describing the extent to which the state constitution requires that the power of eminent domain be exercised only for public use.
- A recent federal trial court decision in your federal district describing the standard for summary judgment in federal court.
- A law-review article published within the past five years about libel law and political campaign advertisements.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Examine the language of the U.S. Constitution and the U.S. legal system in order to explain the principles and process of constitutional, regulatory, and administrative laws at the federal and state levels.