Group Observation Paper
Please refer to the Group Observation Paper rubric for detailed grading information located in the Getting Started Section of the course.
The goal of this assignment is for students to learn about social work groups through observation and reflection.
Students are to attend ONE group session, either at his/her agency or in the community. If there is not a group at the student’s placement, the student can talk with his/her 605 instructor regarding other community group options. After the student has attended the group, the student should summarize the following information in a 2-page reflection paper. Students should include at least 2 references to class readings to support their observations.
Students may observe a wide range of potential groups at their agency, including a task group, administrative group, educational group, planning group, or open groups in almost all communities, such as AA/NA groups or Overeaters Anonymous.
Students should address the following areas in the Observation Paper:
- Type of group (treatment or task)
- Relationship of the group to agency mission and purpose
- Group purpose
- Membership criteria/selection criteria if any
- Size and composition of the group
- Open vs. closed ended?
- Student observations:
- Level of engagement of group members
- Structured or unstructured format?
- Any group norms?
- Any ethical issues raised?
- Any other observations noted by student