I’m working on a sociology discussion question and need an explanation to help me study.
The Pink Tax + Pink it & Shrink it
The Pink Tax refers to costs women pay simply by virtue of being a woman. There are three main categories these costs fall into:
- Being charged more for the same items targeted towards women (e.g. the exact same razor pack as mens but fewer razors in the pack and a “feminine” color/packaging).
- The cost of feminine hygiene items (e.g.; tampons and pads) and frequently birth control.
- Being charged more for items or services (being charged more for a car or car repairs, dry cleaning, house repairs…)
- Find an article or video discussing the pink tax or the marketing strategy “pink it and shrink it” to familiarize yourself with this concept.
- Discuss how the pink tax differentially affects people based on social class, race and nationality.
- Research what is being done world wide to eliminate the inequality produced by aspects of the pink tax and discuss which solutions you think will be most effective and why.
- Cite all sources.