Week Five: Assignment:
Finish Chapter 3: Buddhism, pages112-149
Complete Worksheet #5 and turn in by Sunday night, March 5 by 11:59 pm. It is located in the Week Five folder under the Assignment Link on Blackboard. Please submit your homework through that assignment link. Instructions for this are given elsewhere.
To get full credit the answers must be thorough, show thought and completely fill in the blanks provided.
The Worksheet is worth 10 points.
III. Discussion Board Assignment Questions:
Answer these question on the Discussion Board in Blackboard.
1. How would you describe Nirvana? What is your overall view of this concept. Give reasons to support your view.
2.One of the most important concepts of Buddhism is the “Three Marks of Existence”. They include (in their Pali names) Anicca, Anatta and Dukkha. Define either Anicca or Anatta and then state why the Buddha thinks they lead to Dukkha (suffering). Next, state whether you agree or disagree with this Buddhist observation and why. Give reasons to support your opinion.
2. Zen Buddhism is very strange. Try to look at it as a whole and think about what it is trying to achieve and how it is trying to achieve it. Then choose an aspect of it that you find very interesting, describe it and how it plugs into the whole, and then give your view on it with reasons to support your position.
1. What is the role of sexuality in Tantric Buddhism? What do you think of this perspective? Give reasons to support your views.
2. Who is the Dalai Lama? Describe and give your view of him and his role in Tibetan Buddhism.
2. Explain the meaning of the metaphor in Buddhism of the “Crossing”. What does the crossing mean? How do Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism view the crossing? What is the difference? What is your overall view of this metaphor? Can you relate to it. Give reasons to support your answer.
Remember: These initial responses to questions should be at least 150 words in length and contribute significantly to the discussion.
Also: Don’t forget to respond to two of your classmates’ postings for each question (four in total). They must be at least 75 words in length and contribute significantly to the discussion.